Friday, September 9, 2022

Shibori Project. April-May 2020.

 April 2020 was a creative time because there was suddenly "time."  I had wanted to do a shibori project with indigo for years.  I wanted it to be a shibori party, where friends could come and dye cloth.  I envisioned rows of indigo dyed fabric shifting, hanging in the breeze and sunlight.  There were no parties in April 2020, but I decided to start the project myself as a "trial run."  I still want to have a shibori/indigo party one of these days.  This project kept me calm and focused!  Each night, I tied bundles, used rubberbands and clips with wood and juice lids, stitched lines into cloth, and wrapped river pebbles my son and I had gathered on long walks.  Then I spent two days dyeing the cotton tea towels and a few shirts, hanging it all on clotheslines in my backyard.  Once everything was dry, ironed and folded, I mailed most of the cloth out to friends and family to bring cheer in a time of disconnected loneliness.  Cloth and mail can bring unimaginable comfort.
























No comments:

Post a Comment

Another cat painting.

 Here is a painting of my friend’s cat, Lucy. Lucy got lost outside, but she came home and that is the best news ever. So, I painted a small...