Monday, September 25, 2023

September 25, 1993: Spastic Cracker @ the Loft


September 25, 1993

30 years ago, I was 17, in my first year of college, and the singer in a band called Spastic Cracker. I recently found a VHS tape in a box and I took it to get digitized.

The lady who transferred it to a flash drive had a lot of questions and a lot of apologies. First, she said, “It’s very dark and so loud. I tried to brighten it and I can’t do anything about the sound.”

It was a show at the Loft in Baltimore. As I was standing there, I was thinking to myself, “Sounds about right.”

Then she asked, “Is that you singing?” “Yeah, I was 17.” She then said, “Well, this is nice to have then. Do you stay in touch with your bandmates?” “No, sadly, we’ve lost touch, but I can share it with them on social media I guess.”

One of my favorite songs we wrote, “Thistle,” is at about 10:30, followed by “Level 3” where I scream a ton (a fun song to sing).

Looking back, one of the best things about being in Spastic Cracker was all of the great people I met at the shows we played. It was also really cathartic to be able to create and perform with friends at that time.

You can view the video here:  https://vimeo.com/858998170

In 1994, we released a split 7” with Big Heifer from Chattanooga, Tennessee. (Big Heifer / Spastic Cracker - Big Heifer / Spastic Cracker | Releases | Discogs)

Photo by Brian Storms. *I’m not sure who filmed this, but thank you.

*My friend Mike has written a tremendous amount in incredible ways about this time period.  You can check it out here:  The Retarded Dogs, Spastic Cracker, and the first underground concert in Glen Arm | Towson-Glen Arm Freakouts (wordpress.com)

And here:

Think Baltimore Music Is Weird? In The ’90s, Towson And Glen Arm Music Was Even Weirder. | Bandwidth (wamu.org)

You can hear “Thistle” here: 

https://nunsliketofence.bandcamp.com/track/spastic-cracker-thistle

 

 

2 comments:

  1. "It's okay to be alone/even when you're not." I always loved that lyric and it's stuck with me though all the intervening years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was always one of my favorite lines to sing.

      Delete

Freshwater

I have three Cory catfish and a rabbit snail in a tank.  It took a bit of time this summer into fall to get the water just right and for the...